Wednesday 11 July 2012

I am not a Hipster!


Hipster: though this one seems to be rocking hipster/redneck chic.

I would like to say I’m not a hipster. I find hipsters just as annoying as everyone else, in fact I thought hipsters were annoying before you even knew what a hipster was!

I’d like to say I’m not a hipster and for that to be the truth. I don’t really know if it is though. I don’t want to be a hipster because my dad is a rock musician; because I like actual rock music, despite my fascination with Belle & Sebastian; because I think prescription looking glasses should be worn solely by people with eye problems; because I think the term ‘vegan-leather’ is utter bulls**t; because I like Rockwiz; and because I really freak out at being type caste (note: the play on cast/caste is intentional).

But here is the thing, I like old looking bikes; so I have an old style bike that is perfectly back with quirky saddlebags that are way to new to belong to a hipster. I also ride my bike to op-shops to buy old clothes; most of the clothes I buy from op-shops are designer labelled or cute sundresses. The things I buy at op-shops that aren’t designer labelled or sundress-like are over-sized knitted jumpers and eighties trousers. I like the brat pack, but I didn’t like the prom dress from Pretty in Pink. I like felt hats. I own a jumper that I expressly can’t wear with loafers without socks because guys wearing Buddy Holly glasses, cardigans and too skinny, too short, acid-washed and pre-ripped jeans start hitting on me.

I am mostly certain that I’m not a hipster. But. I took a facebook quiz a few weeks ago, probably the first one I’ve done since first year uni, and it said I was a hipster. I have had nightmares. I walk the streets in fear of a trilby accidently falling from a hipster window and landing on my head while I’m wearing an oversized cardigan. I met with a friend last week wearing one of my favourite overly large cardigans, not with boat shoes or vintage looking boots… I wore it with very modern German (not even remotely hipster-looking) knee high boots, yet one of the first things I said to my darling friend was “I’m not a hipster, I just like oversized jumpers!” She laughed at me.

I’m not a hipster.

I just like oversized cardigans.

And vintage-look boots, that I try to avoid wearing with oversized cardigans.

I liked Mumford and Sons before you even heard of them.





1 comment:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.