Tuesday 3 April 2012

Brooklyn 5am

I love songs that move your imagination to different places. This poem wound its way out of an image that travels through my imagination from time to time. I was listening to Bon Iver's 'Skinny Love' the other day, and it sort of just arrived at my finger tips.

Brooklyn 5am

The Brooklyn streets are cold this morning
But the worst of winter has passed now
I miss you I miss the sun I miss home
But this morning Brooklyn is beautiful
The trees are starting to slowly turn green now
They’ve been bare for months
Tiny green garments have started to gather on their branches
And the snow blankets have melted
They turn into thousands of tiny lakes plaguing the city paths.

I miss you, but today Brooklyn is beautiful
I would have stayed but I need the chill
My blood hates to be too warm
And the sun used to burn my skin
But I was made to be here
My blood is like silk in my veins and roses on my cheeks
Fingers have begun to thaw
We only wear our gloves in the morning and at night.
The days have started to gain color again

I saw a painting you would like the other day
It was black and white, just like you
I see you in the windows sometimes
I walk past some of them twice to catch you
I saw you behind a tree in the park as well
But when I got there you were a bum
Brooklyn is beautiful this morning
I still miss you some days. Like today
The city only reminds me of you in the things you would hate

Yesterday I smashed the crystal glass you gave me
It rained and I bled
I stood on the sidewalk under my apartment
And let the silk dirty the pavement
It isn’t clean here I like that
It’s wet and Brooklyn is beautiful this morning.
There’s a banjo playing in the coffee shop below
You would hate that
I go to the shop every morning for coffee, it’s terrible but I like it

I like the morning hours, before the sun and after it
I stand on the pale streets at four
I watch the city heave its breath, I watch the sweepers
Brooklyn is beautiful now, before the world wakes up
Shopkeepers receive boxes from trucks
The windows are lit and soon the people will come
Soon there will be faces in the windows and feet on paths
There will be hands waving for yellow cabs
It isn’t home, but Brooklyn is beautiful this morning




No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.